Warning over fake piercing magnet craze

Two children needed life-saving surgery after accidentally swallowing powerful magnetic balls which are being used to mimic body piercings in a new craze.

One of the youngsters, Freddie Webster, 12, had to have part of his bowel removed as the tiny balls were ripping a hole in the wall of his stomach.

A third child, aged four, also swallowed the balls but managed to pass them out of the body naturally.

The consultant who saw them has warned parents to be aware of the new craze.

All three youngsters have been treated at Hull Royal Infirmary over the past three months.

The ball-bearing magnets are understood to have become a craze among children who use them as pretend piercings on areas such as their mouth or tongue.

However, doctors have warned if swallowed, they can cause serious damage by burrowing into the stomach and intestines.

In Freddie’s case, he had put one of the 3mm diameter balls inside his mouth and the other outside but accidentally swallowed it.

Read full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-43157923

    You may also like...

    9 Responses

    1. umelcom says:

      It is so unfortunate that children these days feel the need to mimic body piercings. I am glad to hear that the youngsters are feeling better now, but I am worried about the next child who accidentally swallows a magnetic ball bearing. Perhaps they need to start implementing a public official warning concerning these fake piercings so that more parents are aware of what their children are playing with?

    2. xobe says:

      That is very unfortunate. Parenting is not easy easy task for everyone and we must take care of our kids at all times. Children are very aggressive nowadays and we should take a look at it. Kids are very curious when it comes to newly things for them.

    3. VintageRose says:

      I can understand kids wanting to look ‘cool’ or ‘edgy’ at that age, because we’ve all gone through that phase, but it’s our duty as a community to make sure the means they use are safe and risk-free.

      We will never be able to stop our kids from seeking new trends, but we can at least campaign to make sure every new item released comes with the proper warnings and doesn’t pose a threat to any kid’s health.

      I’m truly glad most of the kids are relatively healthy and well now, but we have to stop this before it gets any worse.

    4. RRI87 says:

      The fact that they are “magnetic” might pose and extra risk. It is possible to inform the public and warn them about this trends and how children and teenagers adopt them, however, it is impossible to stop them from discovering and falling for these things. Just like the TidePods issue in the US. I think TidePods are made too good looking for kids to not fall for them. I ate soap when I was 3 years old because the smell attracted my partly developed brain to think it would taste good.

    5. hazel42704 says:

      This kinds of dangerous things should not be sold to children and should not be given to children because this not only cause accidents like this but it will also promote the usage of this as one of the ‘trending’ craze especially on kids.

    6. MomoStarr16 says:

      You really need to watch over what your kid are playing nowadays. Or they end up swallowing anything they touch. It was so unfortunate of those kids making like that accident. Having surgery when you are still a kid feels like painful for me. Good thing it did not happen to me. :p

    7. Dbs24 says:

      This is really scary! Kids doesn’t have to follow new trends. Parents’ guidance is always important especially with younger kids. Or at least keep away dangerous things from kids to avoid this kind of accident. This is upsetting.

    8. alexjpro123 says:

      Parents must guide their childrens every-time they play outside or inside their house, because kids is to clumsy and they pick whatever they see in their sorroundings. Sometimes they swallow it and play it in their mouth. It is very unfortunate to this children who have swallowed this magnet craze and supper from a surgery. I hope they get well as soon as possible. Lets just pray for this children so we can help them.

    9. jamprayer says:

      It is saddening to hear news like this. Products like that should not be used by children or to be more precise must not be sold to children.
      Parents should always guide their children. For kids, magnetic piercings can look cool and funky but we should enlighten them the hazards or risks that are associated with the use of such accessories.
      Back when I was a kid, my cousin wore a pair of magnetic earrings and forgot to remove them before she sleeps. When she woke up one piece of earring was missing and she felt pain in her right ear. She was taken to a doctor to determine the cause of the pain. As we suspected, it was the missing earring that got stuck in her ear. Luckily the doctor was able to remove it without any surgical operation.
      I hope those kids are okay now and have learnt a lesson.

    Leave a Reply

    Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Skip to toolbar